Save energy and money with an efficient heat pump.
Heat pumps are an effective way to cool and heat your home, but inefficient standard and late-model heat pumps often use too much energy, raising your electricity bill. Program qualified heat pumps are approximately 8 percent more efficient than standard new models. With proper model selection, installation and maintenance, you can gain big cost savings with an energy-efficient model. Though potentially more expensive to purchase upfront, the cost of a program qualified model is paid back over time through lower electricity bills. If you're considering installing a heat pump consider buying an energy-efficient model.
Energy Saving Benefits
- Use up to 20 percent less energy when you switch from your current heat pump to an energy-efficient model
- Save money by using less energy to heat and cool your home
- Optimize the performance of your heat pump to use less energy and help avoid global warming
- Promote clean air by using less energy
Prior to starting a project, find a trade ally using the California HVAC Program Trade Allies list. Note that select incentives must be completed by a qualified program trade ally. Review the incentive application with your trade ally to determine eligibility requirements, incentive qualifications and review the list of required documents to submit for an incentive.
Incentive Application and required documents must be postmarked within 90 days of the work completed date. Incentive checks are issued within 45 days of receipt of the completed and approved incentive application. Checks are only payable to the account holder. Incentives are not to exceed the purchase price of the equipment or service. Equipment and service work may be inspected for compliance. Incentives are subject to tariff approval and may change with 45 days notice. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
Equipment Purchases and Services
Trade Ally Incentive
|Heat pump to heat pump upgrade
(8.5+ HSPF & TXV)
|Electric heat system to heat pump conversion (8.5+ HSPF & TXV)||$450||$50|
- Incentives are available for existing homes only
- All HVAC equipment incentives require an Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) certificate to qualify. The AHRI Directory can be found online at ahridirectory.org.
- Incentive amount cannot exceed the total cost of the project
- All required documentation must be postmarked within 90 days of the work completed date
- Additional incentive-specific qualifications and required documentation are listed below
- Work must be completed by either a participating or qualified program trade ally
- Minimum 8.5 HSPF and TXV installed
- Equipment must be a new, air-source split or packaged unitary heat pump with an AHRI Standard Rating Cooling Capacity of 65,000 BTU/hr (5.4 tons) or less
- For heat pump upgrade: Previous primary heat source must have been a heat pump
- For heat pump conversion: Previous primary heat source must have been a permanently installed electric resistance heating system (i.e., electric baseboard, electric ceiling/wall heat or electric forced air furnace)
- New heat pump must be the current primary heat source and must service at least 80% of the home's conditioned floor area
- Gas, oil, and propane system conversions do not qualify
- Required documents include: