Get up to $0.65/sq. ft. cash back
Don’t hesitate. Insulate.
Upgrade your insulation and earn cash back for every square foot. There’s no easier way to prepare your home for the chill of winter and the dog days of summer. By installing qualified insulation, you can save hundreds of dollars a year on heating and cooling, which makes this simple upgrade the very definition of wattsmart.
Qualifications & Incentives
Qualified Contractor-Installed Insulation
|Attic Insulation||$0.50/ sq. ft.||No incentive available.|
|Wall Insulation||$0.65/ sq. ft.||No incentive available|
|Floor Insulation||$0.50/ sq. ft.||No incentive available|
|Attic Insulation||$0.25/ sq. ft.||No incentive available|
|Wall Insulation||No incentive available||No incentive available|
|Floor Insulation||$0.25/ sq. ft.||No incentive available|
Ensure the home qualifies:
- Must be existing home, not new construction
Requirements for all insulation incentives:
- Must meet the specifications outlined in the Idaho Technical Specifications Manual
- Home must have electric heating system serving at least 80% of the home’s conditioned floor area
- Areas that are not finished or conditioned living space such as a garage, do not qualify
- Products must be installed between unconditioned and conditioned living spaces
- Homes built in or after 2013 do not qualify
- Work performed as part of building code requirements do not qualify
Additional requirements for attic insulation:
Pre-existing must be no more than R-11
Final R-value depth must be equal to or greater than R-49
Insulation may be installed by a Program-Eligible Contractor or self-installed
Additional requirements for floor insulation:
- Pre-existing must be no more than R-11
- Final R-value depth must be equal or greater than R-30
- Floor insulation must be installed between conditioned and unconditioned space in order to qualify for incentives (basement floors do not qualify)
- Insulation may be installed by a Program-Eligible Contractor or self-installed
Additional requirements for wall insulation:
- Work must be completed by a Program-Eligible Contractor. Please review our tips for hiring a contractor.
- Must not have existing insulation
- New insulation added must be minimum R-13 or fill cavity
- Only exterior-facing walls qualify. Interior walls, such as walls between rooms, do not qualify
- Basements do not qualify
- Insulation along rim joists does not qualify
Additional program rules:
- Mail all documents so they are postmarked within 90 days of the qualifying service completion date
- Insulation must be installed within 90 days of purchase
- Incentive cannot exceed project costs, self-installers are eligible for incentives on materials only
- For each area of the home, limit one incentive per insulation type, for the lifetime of the home
- For customers applying for multifamily properties, please contact the program at firstname.lastname@example.org for details on how to apply
Insulation Application, completed and signed
Itemized receipt or contractor invoice
- Third Party Payment Addendum for applicants who would like to forward payment to a third party not listed on the utility account
IRS W-9 Form, if applicable*
*Applicable only to businesses and non-individual customers, including landlords, applying for incentives
Electrical heating is defined as a permanently installed system consisting of an electric furnace, heat pump, or electric zonal heating system (baseboard or ceiling/wall heaters) serving as the home's current primary heat source. Space heaters do not qualify.
Electric cooling is defined as a permanently installed, electric heat pump, or ducted electric central air conditioner serving as the home's current primary cooling source. Room air conditioners and evaporative coolers do not qualify.
Non-electric heating or cooling is defined as a heating or cooling system with gas, oil, wood stove, pellet stoves or propane serving as the home's current primary heating or cooling source.
Please see the Incentive Application for a list of required documentation and additional terms and conditions. Incentives are subject to Idaho Utilities and Transportation Commission approval and may change with 45 days notice. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
Residential electric customers residing in the state of Idaho who purchase their electricity from Rocky Mountain Power on rate schedules 1 or 36 qualify. Landlords who own rental properties served by the company in the state of Idaho where the tenant is billed on rate schedules 1 or 36 also qualify for this program. You can locate your rate schedule on your bill or by calling 1-888-221-7070. Incentive checks are only issued in the name of the Rocky Mountain Power accountholder.
How to Apply
Prior to starting a project, find a contractor using the Idaho Qualified Contractors list. Note that select incentives must be completed by a Qualified Contractor. Review the Incentive Application with your contractor to determine eligibility requirements, incentive qualifications and review the list of required documents to submit for an incentive.
Incentive Application and required documents must be postmarked within 90 days of the purchase or completed installation. Incentive checks are issued within 45 days of receipt of the completed and approved Incentive Application. Incentives are not to exceed the purchase price of the equipment or service. Equipment and service work may be inspected for compliance. Incentives are subject to tariff approval and may change with 45 days notice. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
Self-installers are eligible for incentives on materials only and documentation of R-values and square footage must be provided. This information will be listed on the register receipt or insulation packaging.
To ensure your home is eligible for an incentive and below the maximum insulation depth requirements, please use the insulation depth calculator. Prior to your contractor recording measurements, take a peek in your attic and do it yourself!
You will need these items to apply online for your incentive:
- Rocky Mountain Power account number
- Electronic image of your receipt that shows the manufacturer name and model number of your new product
- Complete and submit your online application within 90 days of purchasing your new energy-efficient product.
- Please allow six weeks plus mail service time for delivery of your incentive check after your application and receipt has been received and approved. Missing information may delay processing and delivery of your incentive check.
- You can locate your account number on your statement as shown below.
Have you already applied? Track your incentive status online. Please allow 48 hours for your online application to load in our system.