Get up to $0.40/sq. ft. cash back
Don’t hesitate. Insulate.
Upgrade the insulation in your multifamily property and earn cash back for every square foot. Along with the upfront savings, new insulation will boost the property’s value and appeal with lower heating and cooling costs and improved year-round comfort for your tenants.
Qualifications & Incentives
|Insulation||Electrically Heated Homes
|Wall Insulation||$0.40/sq. ft.|
$0.20/sq. ft. (Final insulation: R-30 or greater)
$0.40/sq. ft. (Final insulation: R-11 or greater or fill cavity)
Ensure the home qualifies:
- Home must complete the pre-qualification process. Contact the program to begin the pre-qualification process and to get the required application documents at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Must be an existing multifamily property, new construction is not eligible for this incentive
- Electric heat is defined as a permanently installed system consisting of an electric furnace, heat pump or electric zonal heating system (baseboard or ceiling/wall heaters) serving as the home's primary heat source (space heaters do not qualify)
Work completed must comply with all building codes and standards
For each area of the home, limit one incentive per insulation type, for the lifetime of the home
Work performed as part of building code requirements do not qualify
Homes built in or after 2013 do not qualify
Requirements for all insulation projects:
- Work must be completed by a Program-Eligible Weatherization Contractor listed on the Program-Eligible Weatherization Contractor List or may be self-installed by the homeowner. Please review our tips for hiring a contractor.
- Insulation must be installed according to the specifications outlined in the Washington Technical Specifications Manual
- Insulation must be installed between unconditioned and conditioned living spaces
Additional requirements for attic insulation:
- Existing R-value must be no more than R-19
- Final R-value depth must be equal to or greater than R-49
Additional requirements for wall insulation:
- Existing R-value must be no more than R-0
- Final R-value depth must be equal to or greater than R-11 or fill cavity
Additional requirements for floor insulation:
- Existing R-value must be no more than R-0
- Final R-value depth must be equal to or greater than R-19
Additional program rules:
- Submit all documents so they are postmarked within 90 days of the qualifying service completion date
- Incentive may not exceed total cost of the project
- Self-installed insulation are eligible for incentives on materials only
- For each area of the home, limit one incentive per insulation type for the lifetime of the home
- Incentive is paid by square footage of installed insulation
Insulation Application, completed and signed
- Program issued pre-qualification approval
- Itemized receipt or contractor invoice must include:
- Product and/or installation costs (materials, labor, service)
- Date work initiated
- Date work completed
- Square footage of area(s) insulated
- Pre-existing R-value
- Added R-value
- Retailer and/or trade ally business name
- Third Party Payment Addendum for applicants who would like to forward payment to a third party not listed on the utility account
- IRS W-9 Form*, if applicable
*Applicable only to businesses and non-individual customers, including landlords, applying for incentives
Incentives are associated with the Home Energy Savings (HES) program January 1, 2018 tariff filing approved by the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission. All incentives are subject to change with 45 days notice. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
Multifamily properties featuring five or more attached units are eligible to receive program incentives.
Multifamily property owners must have a landlord account on a qualifying residential rate schedule. You can find your rate schedule on your utility bill or by calling 1-888-221-7070.
Qualifying Pacific Power residential rate schedules:
- Washington: 16, 17 or 18
How to Apply
Step 1- Multifamily Pre-Qualification
- Property managers, owners or trade allies must submit a pre-qualification form before starting work. This form can be requested from and submitted to email@example.com. Once submitted, the property will be considered pre-qualified only if the requested property is on a qualifying residential rate schedule, and the requested incentive(s) have not been paid previously at the property. Information provided on the pre-qualification form is also used to schedule a pre-inspection; property managers, owners or trade allies should provide the proper contact information for an inspector to gain access to the property and individual units as necessary.
Step 2- Multifamily Pre-Inspection
- wattsmart Homes will schedule a pre-inspection and ensure the property qualifies based on site conditions. The property manager, owner or trade ally will be given approval to proceed with work, if qualified.
Step 3- Multifamily Post-Inspection
- Upon completion of work, please submit application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the application materials are complete, the program will schedule a post-inspection to ensure all work meets wattsmart Homes requirements. Note that applications for projects that do not complete steps 1 and/or 2 will not be accepted.
Contractor completes energy upgrades:
- The contractor will perform the necessary work for the project to qualify for an incentive. Consult with your contactor to get a clear understanding of the work being performed and how long it will take. Also remember to notify your tenants about the work being done.
Application is submitted:
- Once the work is completed, the contractor submits one incentive application for the entire multifamily property to the wattsmart Homes program.
- All units listed on the application must be verified on the landlord account (units may need to be added if they are not under the landlord account at time of review).
- One itemized invoice detailing the work performed for the property must be submitted.
- A completed W-9 form for the person or entity receiving the incentive check must be submitted along with the application for tax purposes. For changes to account name, contact Business Solutions at 1-866-870-3419.
- In some cases a Third Party Payment Addendum will be required if a landlord account is not set up or if the payment is going to anyone other than the account holder
- Applications cannot be processed if any required documentation is missing.
- The property is then queued for a post-work inspection.
- After receipt of a completed incentive application the program will schedule a post-work inspection to verify all program requirements have been met.
- A minimum of 25 percent of the units that received an energy efficiency upgrade must be inspected
- Tenants should be notified of this post-work inspection beforehand.
Application is processed and check is mailed:
- Checks will be issued for approved applications within six weeks of final processing.
Incentive Application Materials:
- IRS W-9 Forms (for business and non-individual customers, including landlords, receiving incentives)
- Third party payment addendum